Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Monday, November 19, 2012

Show and Tell Monday: Gobble Gobble


Today I'm going to try my first link-up and participate in From Mrs. To Mama's weekly "Show and Tell Monday!"  With Thanksgiving coming up, and being so far away from friends and family (not to mention in a country where we're 2 weeks away from summer), I thought this might help get me more in the Thanksgiving spirit!

This Week's Questions: Gobble Gobble

1. Tell us about your family traditions for Thanksgiving.


Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on Thanksgiving morning.  It just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving until the parade is over!  If we're celebrating with my side of the family, then I usually begin to help my mom prepare the meal.  But let me be truthful- I'm no help with anything substantial like turkey or potatoes- I stick to baking my favorite: apple pie!  My family always participates in your standard traditional Thanksgiving feast- tons of tryptophan, carbs, and desserts!  Again, if we're celebrating with my family in Arizona, there are always tons of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. around.  A few years ago, my cousins and I started a new Thanksgiving Day tradition- pre-dinner tequila shots!  So random, but now so festive for us :-)  We can usually get many of our aunts and uncles to participate too.  It definitely makes for a lively dinner!  :-)  Later that night, we usually go see a movie with any family member who's up for it. Last year was the first year we celebrated Thanksgiving in Austin with David's family.  Since most of his extended family lives overseas, we celebrated with just his immediate family and some of their family friends.  They also have a pretty traditional Thanksgiving feast- with a few Persian dishes mixed in.  

This year will be very different.  Australia doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving obviously, so there are no days off of work.  In a moment of insanity, I decided it would be a good idea for me to host about 15 people for Friendsgiving on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Eeeek!  I've never hosted something like that before... not to mention that I've never made a turkey.  Let's just not mention that to our guests.... Wish me luck!

2. Tell us about your favorite foods.

Honestly, I'm not HUGE on turkey.  My absolute favorite is the stuffing.  And it has to be my mom's stuffing.  It's just incredible!  And of course because I have a huge sweet tooth, I also love the desserts... if I could, I would have one of each dessert, but I usually stick to apple pie. 

3. Show us a picture that reminds you of this holiday.


Apple Pie- my FAVORITE!
 
 This was the year my parents were having their kitchen renovated.  That didn't stop us; it just meant the turkey went on the grill!  It was delicious!
 

I think this was the inaugural year of the T-giving tequila shot. 

4. Tell us, do you wait to decorate for Christmas before or after Thanksgiving?

Definitely after!  I'm always tempted to decorate before, but I hate to just skip right over my Thanksgiving and fall decor.  But that doesn't stop me from listening to Christmas music well before Thanksgiving :-)

5. Tell us what you are thankful for this year.

Although I am tens of thousands of miles away from my family and friends in the United States, I am so thankful that my husband and I have this wonderful opportunity to live and travel abroad.  I am also thankful for the wonderful people we have met here so far, who we are looking forward to celebrating Friendsgiving with.  And of course, I am thankful for the support of our families while we are on this journey! 

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a Friendsgiving! How awesome it will so keep you in the spirit of Thanksgiving even if your abroad! I love the idea of Tequilla shots um can I come over for your Friendsgiving ha!

    Apple Pie girl that is us all the way, we do not do pumpkin or anything that is and will probably always be our tradition that one looks so amazing! Did you make it? Yum Yum!

    Oh I am the same way it just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving until the Macy Day parade. You will have to youtube it to get in the spirit!

    Love your blog and meeting people from all over the world!

    xoxo
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Apple pie lovers unite! I will be making it on Sunday, and I can't wait. Good idea to try and find the parade on YouTube- I will definitely do that!

      Delete
  2. Friendsgiving sounds like a great idea! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!